Home
Archive
Buildings
Churches
Historic Homes
History
People
Places
Links
Search
Contact Information

 

Historic Homes of Georgetown Texas on Brushy Street
renamed Austin Avenue - -


(this is page one) 

click here to view page 2

click here to view page 3
click here to view page 4

                                          click on photo for an enlarged view

Circa 1879

Dilley-Tinnin Home 1879
1220 S. Austin Avenue

click to view
a special thanks to the Focus Magazine and Wayne Dawson for this slice of history

 
click for more info
LISTED IN THE NATIONAL REGISTER

This beautifully restored home has a unique 3rd story tower with bracketed cornices with arched window panes also note bay windows. This Victorian Italianate architecture home is  Georgetown's only example. The sliding is a white cypress from Louisiana. Clarence Dilly was the original owner and when he died John Tinnin (cattleman) bought the home.

 

Circa 1896

Charles S. Belford Home 1896
1230 S. Austin Avenue

click to view
a special thanks to the Focus Magazine and Ellen Davis for this slice of history

CS Belford built his home out of the best quality materials in the Queen Anne style. Mister Belford being a master built this home with great craftsmanship. This home has a beautiful wraparound porch with stone piers supporting Greek style half columns and note the corner turret on the right side.


side view


Circa 1908

Marsh F. Smith Home 1908
1242 S. Austin Avenue

Marsh F. Smith House - This Foursquare house was built in 1908 by the Belford Lumber Co. for Marsh Fawn Smith (1875-1961), operator of a local cottonseed oil mill, and his wife Jessie (Cooper) (1879-1963). Smith served as mayor of Georgetown from 1926 to 1946, important years in the economic development of the city. Elements of the Marsh F. Smith House, including the broad eaves and wraparound porch with square columns, reflect the influence of Prairie School architecture. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988


Texas Historical Marker
view Historical Narrative

Inscription. This Foursquare house was built in 1908 by the Belford Lumber Co. for Marsh Fawn Smith (1875-1961), operator of a local cottonseed oil mill, and his wife Jessie (Cooper) (1879-1963). Smith served as mayor of Georgetown from 1926 to 1946, important years in the economic development of the city. Elements of the Marsh F. Smith House, including the broad eaves and wraparound porch with square columns, reflect the influence of Prairie School architecture.
 


Circa 1908


1208 S. Austin Avenue

 

Circa 1850  
     
see historical plaque

see construction details
note detail at the log ends
and chinking between logs

This Cabin came from the
Gabriel Mills area.

(this log cabin was on Austin Ave. but has been moved to the Old Settlers Park in Round Rock)

This cabin of squared logs and hand-hewn limestone was built in the early 1850s near the village of Gabriel Mills (20mi. NW).  It stood on property owned in the 1850-53 by Samuel Mather (1812-78), Miller and Blacksmith who first settled the area.  The structure housed church, school, and Masonic lodge meetings before it became a dwelling.  Given to Georgetown by Mr. and Mrs. Emile Jamail, it was restored in 1975 in a community effort to preserve local pioneer heritage.  Recorded Texas Historic Landmark 1976. 
 

Circa 1935

1227 S. Austin Avenue

Circa 1890's

1239 S Austin Avenue
 

Circa 1915

1215 S. Austin Avenue

Circa 1895

1205 S. Austin Avenue


 




 

(this is page one) 
click here to view page 2

click here to view page 3
click here to view page 4

view other Homes
view home page
 

 

 

horizontal rule

Home | Archive | Buildings | Churches | Historic Homes | History | People | Places | Links | Search | Contact Information

For problems or questions regarding this web site contact
Wayne@georgetown-texas.org